In the United Kingdom (where I was recently vacationing; I’m on my way back right now) Paris Lees is a big name, raising transgender awareness on many fronts. From the article:
- Paris presented a collection of films about transgender people for Channel 4, becoming the channel’s first transgender presenter
- She presented The Hate Debate, a show about prejudices for Radio 1, becoming that station’s first transgender presenter
- Paris was the first transgender woman to appear on the cover of DIVA, a magazine for lesbian and bisexual women
- She became the first transgender judge for the Independent on Sunday’s annual Pink List in 2011 and returned to the judging panel the following year
- She has previously worked with the Gender Trust and Trans Media Watch, and currently works with All About Trans
- She challenged Jonathan Ross over a transgender joke he made – and charmed him into giving a video interview
BBC News – Paris Lees: From prison to transgender role model.